May 17, 2021
Dear Parents & Guardians,
Kispiox Community School is in the planning stages for the September 2021-June 2022 school year. Student registration is what determines the number of teachers and support staff needed, the amount of student supplies that will be ordered, the number of text books and curriculum needed for each grade, as well as how each classroom, remote / distance group, or pod will be set up.
This year has been a challenge due to the COVID-19 pandemic which has interrupted your child’s education. Across Canada and globally there have been declines in student academic achievement. Students have fallen behind. We have to put a plan in place that is going to attempt to catch students up no matter which structure is chosen. As always, parents will play a major role in helping students catch up. Another year with the same results will seriously affect your child’s education, both now and into the future.
Registration for the 2021-2022 school year will be held from May 18 to May 27, 2021. Please come to the school between 9 am and 4:30 pm to register your child. Complete registration will take place and all documents must be submitted before registration is confirmed and your child’s space is secured. There is also a possibility that a wait list will be established if there are more students than space in the school or the pod, if that option is available.
The following information is provided to assist parents & Guardians with making a choice. When you come to the school to register your child, you will be asked to indicate where you will place your child or children:
- Will Attend KCS – The student will attend school and will be in a classroom with a teacher for the full year.
The following options were available for the 2020-2021 school year and may be available for the 2021-2022 school year; however, I would like parents and guardians to indicate if attending a pod or remote/distance education is the preferred method. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, pods were set up in specific communities to keep students in their own communities to limit COVID-19 transmission as much as possible.
- Remote / Distance – The student will be assigned to a teacher and will receive instruction via zoom, online IXL, and/or packages sent home. The parent is responsible for monitoring progress, submitting completed assignments to the teacher, and establishing a schedule for the student. If Remote/Distance education is chosen, parents will not be permitted to change their mind for a period of five months and only if there is room in a particular classroom. The first change date will be January 31, 2022 for the period February 1, 2022 to June 30, 2022.
- Glen Vowel Pod – This option may be available and is dependent upon the number of students registered to attend the pod. Students who register with the Kispiox Community School, but will attend school at the church in Glen Vowel.
- Hagwilget Pod – Students who register with the Kispiox Community School, but will attend school at the learning center in Hagwilget.
- Senden Pod – Students who register with the Kispiox Community School, but will attend school at the Senden farm.
Summer is approaching. If your family completes the registration package and submits all documents that are required, you will be entered for one of 3 draws. Each draw will consist of a bicycle, helmet, and lock for a child, AND a bicycle, helmet and lock for the parent/guardian. Each family can enter only once. The draw will be held live on Friday, May 28, 2021 at 12:00 noon. The first name drawn will get first choice, the second name drawn will get 2nd choice, and the last name drawn will receive the prize that remains.
Lillian Gogag, Administrator
Anspayaxw School Society