- Go to www.gmail.com
- Click create account
- The sign up form will appear. Fill out all the required information.
- Enter your cell phone number to verify your account.
- You will receive a text message from Google with a verification code. Enter the code to complete the account verification.
- Next, you will see a form to enter some of your personal information, like your name and birthday.
- Review the Terms of Agreements and click I agree.
- Your account will be created.
Choose a strong password and name your email address appropriately to the business you will be conducting.
Get to know the interface. You can access useful tools like:
- Docs – Create assignments, daily and weekly lesson schedule
- Calendar – Scheduled task and meetings
And many more
The Google account allows you to communicate with your children’s teachers for homework and assignments.
Signing into your Account
- Go to www.gmail.com
- Type your user name (your email address) and password, then click Next.
To sign out
In the top-right corner of the page, locate the circle that has your first initial (if you’ve already selected an avatar image, it will show the image instead). To sign out, click the circle and select Sign out.
Occasionally, you may want to make adjustments to Gmail’s appearance or behavior. For example, you could create a signature or vacation reply, edit your labels, or change the theme. These adjustments can be made from your mail settings.
To access your mail settings:
- Click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the page, then select Settings.
- From here, you can click any of the categories at the top to edit the desired settings.
Like all major email providers, Gmail lets you keep an address book of contacts so you don’t have to memorize everyone’s email addresses. You can also add other contact information, like phone numbers, birthdays, and physical addresses.
To add a contact:
- Click the Google apps button.
- Click the Contacts button in the drop-down menu.
- Your contacts screen will appear. Click the Add new contact button in the lower-right corner.
- Enter the contact information, then click Save.
To edit a contact:
- In the Google apps drop-down menu, select Contacts.
- Locate the contact you want to edit, then click Edit Contact.
- You can now make any changes you want to the contact.
By default, when you send an email to a new address, Gmail adds the address to your contacts. You can then go to your contacts to edit the person’s information as needed.
When you write an email, you’ll be using the compose window. This is where you’ll add the email address of the recipient(s), the subject, and the body of the email, which is the message itself. You’ll also be able to add various types of text formatting, as well as one or more attachments. If you want, you can even create a signature that will be added to the end of every email you send.
The compose window
Click the buttons in the interactive below to learn about the different parts of the compose window.
- In the left menu pane, click the Compose button.
- The compose window will appear in the lower-right corner of the page.
- You’ll need to add one or more recipients to the To: field. You can do this by typing one or more email addresses, separated by commas, or you can click To to select recipients from your contacts, then click select.
- Type a subject for the message.
- In the body field, type your message. When you’re done, click Send.
If the person you are emailing is already one of your contacts, you can start typing that person’s first name, last name, or email address, and Gmail will display the contact below the To: field. You can then press the Enter key to add the person to the To: field.
An attachment is simply a file (like an image or document) that is sent along with your email. For example, if you are applying for a job, you might send your resume as an attachment, with the body of the email being the cover letter. It’s a good idea to include a message in the body of your email explaining what the attachment is, especially if the recipient isn’t expecting an attachment.
Remember to attach your file before you click Send. Forgetting to attach a file is a surprisingly common mistake.
To add an attachment:
- While composing an email, click the paper clip icon at the bottom of the compose window.
- A file upload dialog box will appear. Choose the file you want to attach, then click Open.
- The attachment will begin to upload. Most attachments will upload within a few seconds, but larger ones can take longer.
- When you’re ready to send your email, click Send.
You can click Send before the attachment finishes uploading. It will continue to upload, and Gmail will automatically send the email once it’s done.