We know that Structure and Routine Promote Positive Mental Health. Here are some Tips for Setting up a Daily Routine for Kids and Teens During the COVID-19 School Closures:
- Try to keep bedtime and morning wake up times the same as a regular school day.
- Refer to school websites to find out bell times and recess times. Use these as a framework to plan your day.
- For elementary aged children, co-create ideas for special projects in each subject (writing, art, math… don’t forget gym class!).
- For teens, access any assignments and on-line learning modules from their school web platforms. Help teens to set up virtual study groups with classmates.
- Encourage teens and older kids to ‘teach’ a virtual school lesson to younger kiddos (recycled science fair projects anyone?).
- Look to the array of free online resources for virtual field trips, read-alongs, lesson plans, etc. Get creative. Consistency is key!